A subgroup of digital pen/handwriting features
Some useful feature filters for OneNote/Notability/GoodNotes users:
- allows handwriting inside notes ("Formatting Supported"?)
- said handwriting is searchable ("Search and Navigation"?)
- allows handwritten PDF annotation ("Content Uploads & Embeds/PDF=>Can be annotated with handwriting")
Done Suggested by: Lucian • Upvoted: 13 Jun, '22 • Comments: 3
These are tempting, since they certainly sound like useful features. Main reservation at the moment is how to disambiguate them from some similar features we already have:
1. How do you see "Allows handwriting in notes" to be distinct from the existing "Doodles (App provides a built-in means by which to capture user drawing)"? Just a label more people will recognize, or is there a functional difference we could describe?
2. Seems like "handwriting is searchable" is arguably equivalent to images being searchable. Do you have any suggestions as to how you'd describe this to be distinct from that?
I will agree that there is no significant difference between Doodles and Handwriting. Although I would argue that including the word "handwriting" would help people to find this feature.
As for point number 2, I think we can find apps that allow drawing inside notes but don't bother indexing handwritten text, which is where this distinction would be useful. Maybe they have OCR for pictures, but they consider doodles to be drawings. Although I suppose we could investigate whether this case is a reasonably frequent one.
We now have a "Formatting > Drawing/Handwriting" feature, "Content Uploads > OCR image text in search" and "Content Uploads > PDF => Can be annotated" which should cover all three of these.